“Best POS system for your restaurant management”
“Increase your business with our POS”
“Conduct all your payments with XYZ POS”
Every restaurateur must have heard or read these sentences somewhere, at some point of time. So, let us explain you, what exactly is a POS system and its need and benefits to your system.
POS (Point of sale) system:
The point of sale (POS) is the time and place where a retail transaction is completed. At the point of sale, the merchant will calculate the amount owed by the customer, indicate the amount and will generate an invoice to let the customer know about the amount. Various payment options are provided as it is also the point at which a customer makes a payment to the merchant in exchange for goods or after provision of a service. After receiving payment, the merchant may issue a receipt for the transaction, which is usually printed, but is increasingly being dispensed with or sent electronically.
POS system over the years:
• First microprocessor-controlled cash register systems was built in 1974, for McDonald’s Restaurants. Each station in the restaurant had its own device which displayed the entire order for a customer. When the customer was ready to pay, the button would calculate the bill, including sales tax for almost any jurisdiction in the United States.
• POS system designed in 1986 was the first commercially available POS system with a widget-driven color graphic touch screen interface and was installed in several restaurants in the USA and Canada.
POS System nowadays:
• POS system nowadays are cloud based. You can access it directly from internet and it’s also compatible with wide range of hardware. Cloud based POS are different than the traditional POS as all the user data is stored in a server. Check one example here: http://getcirq.com/product
• It provides instant centralization of all the data and you can access it from anywhere you want (where there’s internet).
• POS system has revolutionized the food industry. Typical restaurant POS software can generate kitchen order token (KOT) to print orders for the kitchen preparation, process payment through multiple available channels. Mobile-based or tablet-based POS are very popular these days as they can be carried easily and reduces the hardware investment as well.
Features you should watch out for:
• Mobile or tablet based system
Easy to carry and reduces investment in hardware
• Payment channel availability
Including all sorts of payment options will ensure that your customer can comfortably conduct the payment and you don’t miss out on single transaction.
• Analysis of your sales on dashboard
So that you can keep an eye on your restaurant’s transaction, all the ups and downs in the sales along a week or a month. It can help you identify which days you get less rush of customers so that you can focus on various schemes and discounts for those less earning days.
• Marketing campaign feature
To retain your customers so that they keep on coming back to you.
• Kitchen display system
Order punched by the waiter will be updated in the kitchen and the chef can notify the waiter as soon as the dish is ready. Hence, increasing the efficiency of your restaurant on a busy day.
Any mobile-based POS system would basically require a mobile phone or tablet and a printer(or tablet) for the kitchen to generate the KOT (Kitchen Order Token). The printer needs to be essentially compatible with the POS system as a few system might be lagging behind technologically.
We really hope that we helped you in understanding the meaning and purpose of using a POS system.